Isla Escudo de Veraguas
The magic of hidden beaches, crystal clear waters and unique wildlife
WHY THE REMOTE ISLAND OF ESCUDO DE VERAGUAS IS SUCH A PARADISE
Hidden beaches, crystal clear waters, white sands, and unique wildlife make this remote destination an earthly paradise.
One of the most amazing island locations in Central America. A lonely remote Caribbean island bravely facing the sea. Waiting to welcome you to explore its many wonders.
The interconnected waterways surrounding the island provide an unbelievable snorkeling experience, like passages of a natural labyrinth.
A natural sanctuary to multiple endangered species. The only location in the world that is home to the elusive and critically endangered three-toed pygmy sloth. With luck we'll see one swimming in the clear waters of the mangroves in this tropical island oasis.
Within the crystalline waters of the nooks and crannies surrounding the almost impenetrable jungle coving the island you'll explore a perfect incubator and hatchery for innumerable fish and shellfish including shrimp, lobster, and several species of crab.
Reaching this natural sanctuary is typically very challenging and a three-day trip if coming from Panama City. But only an hour travel by our luxury seaplanes.
AN ANCIENT LAND
Formed 12 million years ago, this small (4.3 km2) isolated Caribbean island is located 17 km from the coastline and has no permanent inhabitants.
A NATURALISTS PARADISE
The island has 100 hectares of coral reef with 55 coral species. On the small island are many thousand species of wildlife. Two mammal subspecies are recognized as occurring only on the island: the pygmy sloth and a species of fruit bat. Together with the worm salamander these three are considered to be critically endangered species. The hummingbird Amazilia handleyi is also native and unique to this tiny enclave. Green sea turtles, hawksbill sea turtles, and leatherback sea turtles come to Escudo to lay eggs.
Ancient local rumors have it that in the 1400's the suquias (sorcerer-kings of old) warriors would banish the souls of enemies killed in battlefields of the region to this far distant isle that appeared and disappeared on the horizon like a monstrous hallucination. And that the sounds of those souls can still be heard is isolated inlets as you explore.
YOUR LUXURY DAY TRIP PACKAGE INCLUDES
CUSTOMIZE YOUR DAY WITH THESE ALTERNATIVES
THE SEAPLANE EXPERIENCE
- Pickup in our van of up to 8 passengers plus day-trip baggage at your Panama City hotel or residence at 7:15 am
- Pre-departure glass of champagne or juice, then we take off from Albrook Airport in our Cessna Caravan EX amphibious seaplane at 8:00 am for the island of Escudo de Veraguas.
- Enjoy the jungle and ocean views as every passenger has a large window
- We land your seaplane in the sheltered waters of Escudo and transfer to your panga boat that takes you to our basecamp on the beach for your day's adventure
- We depart by your seaplane mid-afternoon for Panama City and have you delivered to your hotel or residence before dinner
YOUR COIBA ISLANDS EXPERIENCE
- You are hosted through the excursion by a bilingual interpretive naturalist guide to maximize your experience.
- We'll have a nicely set up Beach Camp on your private beach for the day. Comfortable beach chairs, table, luggage rack, tent for sun / rain protection, water station, towels, sanitized snorkeling equipment.
- Your private launch takes you and your group exploring the hidden beaches, snorkeling in crystal clear waters and discovering the grandeur of a tiny beach inside a huge cave surrounded by has trees and vines.
- During your boat tour and snorkeling trip we provide snacks, fresh fruit, local beer, soft drinks and water
- At mid-day back at the beach camp, we host for you an exceptional catered gourmet lunch including local specialties of seafood. A glass of chilled champagne to toast to the spirits of this island.
- Lounge or explore after your lunch before we depart. We'll have a fresh water for shower to rinse off before your seaplane departure
STAND UP PADDLEBOARDING
We'll coordinate SUP's to be available for those in your group that are proficient. An amazing means of exploring the channels and mangroves that surround the island and searching for unique wildlife such as the Pygmy Sloth
FOCUS ON NATURE
Some groups may be more interested in an immersive experience with a specialized naturalist guide or scientist to focus their visit on the unique ecosystem and wildlife of Escudo de Veraguas. We can coordinate your visit with the support of guides or scientists that have the knowledge and local experience of interest to you in order to assure your visit is exceptional.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I bring with me?
We suggest sunscreen, a hat and of course sunglasses. A long sleeve shirt for sun protection. Add a towell and you're all set. We'll provide a ziplock bag for your phone and camera. Bring your charging cable so you can take lots of videos and photos.
What do you provide?
We'll have plenty of water and other refreshments. Snacks and a spectacular lunch. We'll ask you ahead for your size so that we can provide sanitized and sealed snorkel equipment. And we'll also provide things like ziplock bags and a charging station for your phone and camera.
What if it rains?
If we get some rain showers typically they are not for too long. At our beach camp we'll have shelter and the boat for exploring and snorkeling has a cover.
What if there is an emergency?
Although you are remote, you are never isolated. We always have a means of satellite communications in case of emergencies.
Are there food options?
Before your excursion we'll contact you for any special dietary requirements or allergies. We can also provide kosher.
I have a lot more questions, how can I reach you to talk?
Send me your contact information HERE and I'll get back to as soon as I am able by whatever means or technology you tell me you'd like to use. We really like doing Zoom calls, as yes there is a real person here. For Spanish I have someone to help me.
Why Fly With Elevair Tours
Remote but Never Isolated
As you fly with us you may be remote, but are never isolated. All our aircraft have real-time GPS satellite tracking systems and satellite telephones. Track your seaplane location in our mobile phone app.
Our tourism activities and your participation are designed to provide a net benefit for the social, economic, natural and cultural environments we visit with you. And for future generations of visitors.
Carbon Neutral Operations
We offset the CO2 emissions from your flights with us with an equal amount of carbon capture projects in Panama communities we visit, empowering them for sustainable forestry and tourism.
Latest Generation Seaplanes
You’ll relax in the comfort of our modern turbo-prop amphibious seaplanes. We get you to your remote destination safely, quickly and comfortably. Executive aircraft interiors with seating for up to eight passengers and ample luggage capacity.
Experienced Seaplane Pilots
Our pilots have flown in some of the most rugged areas of the world and gained valuable experience to assure you have the safest journey possible. Competent, professional and always aware of the comfort and safety of your flight.